Steven Nelson talked about our club’s involvement in the Guatemala Literacy Project. Before starting his talk, Steven presented a plaque from the Cooperative for Education (the GLP organization) congratulating us on our 50th anniversary. Students from the school in Guatemala sent us hand made and signed thank you letters which were placed on all the tables at Wednesday’s lunch. Our club has been active in the Guatemala Literacy Project for many years. In addition to our club there are 504 other clubs worldwide in 69 Rotary Districts, 8 countries and has been going on for 20 years.
Video of the Program:
Other Club News:
- Peter Adams gave his Past President’s reflection talk from his year as president in 2001-02. Video here: https://youtu.be/Qqol6jp1uMs That was the year of the 9/11 attacks in NYC and the first Stanley Cup final for the Hurricanes.
- Wednesday was Flag Day. We commemorated it with small flags at each table.
- Frank Bouknight presented Erik Grunwald with his check for $1000 made out to the Rotary Foundation. Thank you Frank for all you have done in the name of Rotary for so many years!
- Frank Bouknight brought his neighbor, retired Raleigh Police officer Jim Sughrue, to lunch.
- Jim Gentry showed both a photo of his newest great grandaughter Sloan Lynn Gentry. Sloan was just born 1 week ago.